Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fast Fashion & Sustainability

To be honest I always thought of sustainability in fashion as rather boring. This was a disappointing reality for me to understand, as I could see the importance in sustainability, but just couldn’t get inspired by the readings I came across. Everything seemed to be about the textiles, the processes of the textiles, the maintenance of the textiles, and most snozzalicious of all, the bloody science involved in these processes. I thoroughly enjoy working with textiles in my design process, and understand the importance of a basic knowledge of the science involved in textiles. However the textiles I use are only one small part of my design process.

With out realising it, what I was looking for was sustainable design processes. I’ve found it in the sustainable ideas in slow fashion. The ideas around this movement are based in connecting back with our surroundings, interacting with ideas, consumers and communities. These are all ideas I know are truly important, in my design process. Designs with substance strong concepts that have been explored and refined are what I aspire to, and find most interest in.
The fashion industry has developed a system of self importance and waste that is not sustainable. I believe that change for a more sustainable fashion industry that includes a better balance of design and not just styling and trends is inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment