I find it interesting, that in cases of extreme poverty often cases of extreme luxury and wealth are also present.
I understand the need for luxury products in the fashion and other industries. In fact I believe it is the powerful emotion of desire that makes the luxury consumers unique. The “I want” factor can not be under estimated in any luxury commercial industry.
Marketing is often directed to making us feel like we in fact need there products, however luxury marketing is almost the exact opposite. The luxury consumer has the pure exclusivity of merely wanting its products. The idea of need is not relevant, one does not NEED to shop in a store that has helicopters hanging from the ceilings, one simply desires to (the idea is alluring I have to admit). It offers exclusivity, and more importantly a sense of superiority, which is important when there are overpoweringly obvious levels of poverty. Superiority offers a (false) sense of immunity. No one wants to believe that such harsh reality may be a personal reality.
Luxury products suggest a well made well thought out design, high quality materials and importantly laboured time and effort in construction. These are all things I think are important in the fashion industry, and definitely there is a place for luxury in the fashion. However in cases like Daslu I feel the whole self importance approach is more of a hindrance than anything else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment